Thursday, June 5, 2008

Eclipse Ganymede ante portas

























Same procedure as every year: a new Eclipse release is coming: Eclipse 3.4 (Ganymede). There's no other software project publishing every year a new release at the same day.

Since some weeks I'm working daily using the 3.4 Milestones and you should do the same: download the actual release candidate and test your environment.

Enhancements in Databinding, PDE Tooling and Equinox are most important for me - best you take a look at the "New and Noteworthy".

Something problematic is the new P2 - replacing the old Update mechanism. In 3.4 Eclipse - Installations can share a bundle pool. Loosing the external locations for bundles is hard for me, because I use them heavy.

Also using P2 in RCP applications is hard and still has some bugs. But from my opinion we should give P2 a chance - but there are hot discussions at PlanetEclipse.
blog in german

No comments: